A glorious winter style cold morning, with clear blue skies, but a lack of wind was not looking too promising for the day’s racing. The wind filled in enough for the committee boat to take to the water, but it quickly faded, even before the fleet was launched! After a while various boats went out for a sail in some light airs, but the wind never filled in sufficiently for a race, which was later cancelled for the day.
Now that November is here, it is Sunday only racing (isn’t it Mik?!) for the Winter Trophy. There was a cold light wind that picked up slightly over the course of the morning, and light rain to boot!
Eight boats competed, no capsizes, with some close racing and four boats finishing less than 17 secs apart on handicap in the morning race, two of which tied – AJ/Sue and Peter. The wind eased after lunch, and continued to do so throughout the race. Although Peter established an early lead, he lost ground in the calm patches as the wind started to fade and AJ secured 1st place, with Peter 2nd. Shortly after the boats returned to shore, the lake was like a mill pond.
The bonfire celebrations are being held on Saturday 9th from 6pm – please bring a display firework, and drop off any spare wood that you may have for the bonfire.
After a wet, night, and a calm morning, the wind freshened as the afternoon went on, and the sun shone, revealing a snow capped Skiddaw as the rain clouds disappeared.
There was a fleet of 11 boats, some suffering mixed fortunes. Steve/John in their GP, headed for wrong marks, and capsized getting their mast in the mud, but righted it and finished the race – all part of the learning curve! Paul had a great start in the 2nd race, but lost the benefit when he, too, capsized. AJ was getting giddy doing turns again, though he seemed to suggest Sue was at fault (I wonder if he still has a crew available for Sunday?…) It was the Solos that fared best with Tony winning both races, Paul 2nd in the first, and Rory 2nd in the last race. Paul wins the series on fleet handicap with AJ/Sue 2nd.
Here’s another video from John of his first October race.
With the clocks going back, perhaps many enjoyed their lie in, and did not fancy a sail as only three helms turned up in the morning, and another couple in the afternoon, for what turned out to be another sunny, but cool, day with a force 1/2. The GPs shared the honours, with AH/Sue winning the morning race, and Joan/Jack in the afternoon.
Overall, Mike/Eric won on fleet handicap, and AJ/Sue on personal handicap.
Saturday was wet and windless, though a light breeze did fill in, there was no enthusiasm to race, so racing was cancelled for the day.
Sunday morning’s attendees all reported wind at Bothel, Keswick, Cockermouth, but there was little sign of any at the club! Various zephyrs came and went, but racing did get underway by noon. The light breeze proved to be very shifty on the ‘compact’ course aimed at keeping the fleet in whatever wind there was.
After lunch the wind strengthened, and without the sun, it felt so much colder, but, at least, the sailors were kept more active to give them a chance at keeping warmer.
Dave/Lynn won both races with Tony 2nd in the morning race (which proved to be more than enough for him), and Mike/Eric 2nd in the afternoon.
Don’t forget to book your tickets for the annual dinner by Wednesday 23rd October to benefit from the early bird discounted ticket price.
It is with great sadness that we have learned that Ian MacPherson died peacefully this morning (17 October) after a long illness. Ian has been a long standing member of the club having sailed in the Laser and F15 fleets.
Our thoughts are with his wife and family at this sad time.
Ian’s funeral is to be held at 13.30 on Monday 28 October at Carlisle Crematorium, followed by a reception at Dalston Victory Hall. If you are likely to attend the reception please let us, or Tim Chittenden, know by Wednesday evening so that the family can plan catering arrangements.
Due to various other commitments, numerous regulars are not available for the planned team racing on 26/27 October, so, due to low anticipated attendance, it has been decided to cancel this year’s event.
Club racing will continue as planned.
A sunny but chilly Saturday had a fleet of 10 boats enjoying lighter than forecast winds. AJ was in a spin soon after the first start due to a port/starboard incident. He was spotted doing another turn later having hit a mark! At least he was close enough to hit that one as a group of boats then headed for the wrong mark…. They did realise their mistake and correct their course. Barbara had a couple of capsizes before retiring. Mike/Kayla and Ant each had a win from the afternoon’s racing.
Sunday was nothing like the day before, with a light wind fading as the sailors arrived together with the rain showers. However, the wind soon filled back in from the SE to get racing underway, and it unexpectedly strengthened, albeit for a short while. The wind eased as it backed to the east, and losing the beat, but Dave/Lynn held their lead to win the race.
The afternoon race was held in very light airs, taking an hour to complete the one and only lap. Dave/Lynn taking the honours again, ahead of Neil in his Laser.
A fair number of potential competitors turned up at the Club with the intention of racing but rapidly changed their minds when they saw what foul winds Bass’ micro-climate had delivered. These included Ian & Tim, Paul & Vicky and Hon treasurer to name but a few. AJ / Sue said maybe but opted out when their Geep nearly blew over with only the jib up! Paul G’s Radial went one better by taking off and turning over on the slipway.
So we had three boats in the pre-start area for Race 1. This was reduced to two when the kicking strap on Hugh’s Vareo came adrift. It left the two Pauls – Gannon & Clark – to take the start in their Radials. PG had a capsize on the beat but, as PC took what he described as an Asymmetric course on the next leg, the return to the finish was close with PC nosing it by 8 seconds. Yes, it was only 1 lap!
Both helms fancied (?) a second race. PC took an early lead which extended when PG had a number of further capsizes. To his credit he continued to the finish, and on being asked after how he felt, said he urgently needed a bag of chips. Hey ho!
The overnight rain eased through the morning, leaving a dry afternoon for the start of the final weekend series of the club championship season for which more than 20 boats took to the water.
The wind was lighter than forecast, but there was still opportunities for planing conditions on some of the gusts.
The occasional light patch created opportunities for some to make up ground, but, generally, positions remained consistent throughout the afternoon, with Simon/Jon in the F15s, Val/Ken in the GPs, and Andy/Lily in the Slow Handicap each had two wins, and therefore made them overnight leaders for their fleet trophies. In the Handicap fleet, Neil won in his Laser in the first race, and Tony in a Solo in the second one.
Another film video from John, this time 360 version so turn your phone/tablet, or drag the image, to choose your view
The wind and rain was forecast to return on Sunday, but, although it was miserably wet, the wind was similar to Saturday, and eased as the morning went on. The F15 and GP sailors were less than enthusiastic to race, while the Slow Handicap were tied up doing other things, including standing in as OD in Mik’s case, which left a the the Handicap fleet of five boats.
The changing winds strengths throughout the day led to a mix of race positions, with the overall result being dependent on the final race. Banter/Izzy’s win in their RS400 put them half a point ahead of Steve/Ruth in their Merlin to win the Comet Trophy.
The weekend’s results changed the club championship results with Simon/Jon taking the lead in the F15 championship from Mike/Kayla, and Andy/Lily winning the Slow Handicap championship from Mik. Congratulations also go to Dave/Lynn in the GPs, and Steve/Ruth in the Handicap fleet.
Members will note that the lake level has risen considerably over the last week, and with a lot more rain in the pipeline, please consider moving your boat off the foreshore to avoid the risk of damage if flooding occurs yet again.